
Three years ago today, my friend Clete McAllister Childs passed away.
You might know the story, and you might not. But I'm willing to bet if you knew Clete at all, he affected you in some way.
Clete was driving home from basketball practice at Caldwell when he was struck by a drunk driver.
I remember that night so well. I was at a play at Weaver, where I went to high school, and on the way home, a huge part of a main road I use to get home was blocked off. I had to go around in a huge circle and when I got around to the other side, I saw news trucks and lots of police. Honestly, when I see car wrecks, I always wonder if someone I know was involved. If the wreck is visible, I look and see if I recognize any cars. I couldn't see the cars in this wreck, so I said a quick prayer that everything would be okay, and I made my way home, about 2 miles from the wreck area.
When I got home, I breathed a sigh of relief as I saw both of my parents' cars in the driveway. I went inside and mentioned it to my mom, rather briefly. I went upstairs, finished some homework, then went to bed.
I got an unusual wake up- my mama was sitting on my bed holding my hand. I knew something was wrong- I could tell just from the look in her face. I immediately began to think of which one of my friends was involved in the accident. My mind was racing a million times a minute, and then Mama opened her mouth and said, "It was Clete in that accident last night. He is at Baptist on life support." My heart broke and I completely froze. ' It can't be Clete. There has got to be some misunderstanding. He's like the best person I know..." I was in shock as I got ready for school. In shock the entire day... I honestly don't remember much that day. I just remember finally realizing what happened and losing it in the middle of class.
I left school early and went to Caldwell to be with my class. I remember walking in to the room they were all in losing it again. We all went to Alex Wolfe's house and sitting there, completely paralyzed. Then came the news, Clete was gone. I remember having to find my mama. I needed her in that moment more than I needed anyone. She was at lunch with a friend at Village Tavern, and so I went there. My boss, Lauren was there, and she asked what was up... I told her. I remember going into work that night. I didn't know how to feel. I was angry. Upset. Devastated. But still blank. The crying had stopped- and the only way I can explain how I felt at that moment is just plain unhuman. I started cleaning something and lost it. Ginni, the manager, told me I didn't need to be there. I went home, and didn't sleep for even a second that night.
I drive down that road EVERY SINGLE DAY. If I would have left Weaver just a few minutes earlier, it would have been me. It SHOULD have been me. Clete was the best person I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He genuinely and honestly cared about every single person in his life. He was the most respectful son and brother. He loved Alie more than I've ever seen any brother love his sister. He loved Jesus so much and made sure everything he did glorified Him. He never excluded anyone, no matter what. He loved us, his class, even though it took us a while to accept him. He was amazing. In every way. He loved BAMA more than anyone I know, and his mantra was "roll tide roll!" He wanted to make a difference, and that is exactly what he did- in the life of every person he ever met.
Clete, I think about you every single day of my life. Today is going to be a hard day. There are so many people here who miss you and love you more than you ever knew. I know you are having a ballin' time with Jesus in heaven, and I can't wait to join you. I will never, ever, ever forget you . You remain in my heart forever. I love you. <3
RIP Clete Childs.
May 8, 1989 to November 18, 2005.
1 comment:
HI
i finished watching a movie titled The Ultimate Gift and i quite enjoyed it ect ect.
Anyway towards the end of the credits it had Dedicated in memory of Clete McAllister Childs, i originally thought it may of been someone who died from Lukemia so i did a google search and came across here.
I read the story and it does sadden me when these types of things happen and when they are your friend it would be even worse.
If you want to email me back ect. my email is davemac84@gmail.com
Post a Comment